Most people do not know that cleaning memory foam is a simple task. More so, learning how to do it is much easier and takes a short time, say an hour or less. Below is a well-outlined process on how to perform the task efficiently. The most exciting fact about this process is that it can be used to clean a variety of memory foam types. Let us see how to wash memory foam pillow below:
- A handheld or regular size vacuum cleaner attached to a soft brush
- A Woolite fabric cleaner
- An emptied spray bottle, preferably plastic
- A detachable shower head
- White distilled vinegar
- Hair dryer or an electric fan
- A plastic tarp
- A water hose spray attachment
The following seven steps represent the process systematically:
1) Using the handheld vacuum cleaner ( or the regular-sized vacuum cleaner) attached with a soft brush, vacuum the foam thoroughly.
2) If a room is available, take the memory foam pillow and place it in a bathtub. Otherwise, an outside venue next to the water faucet is recommendable. In cases where it is only possible to wash the memory foam pillow outdoors, do not forget to use the clean plastic tarp if you mind getting dirt or mud on it.
3) Fill the plastic spray bottle with two proportions of clean water and one proportion of Woolite fabric cleaner. Mix the ingredients well by shaking the plastic spray bottle sufficiently. Sprinkle each part of the pillow, both the front and back parts, with a mixture of Woolite fabric cleaner and clean water. An additional individual is necessary at this stage to help hold up the pillow as you do the spraying. After spraying, let the pillow free for half an hour to give the mixture time to permeate the entire pillow.
4) Use the detachable shower head (in the bathtub) or a water hose attached to a spray nozzle to rinse off the pillow. Remove the excess water with care. The most efficient way to do it is by folding it over and pressing down on it.
5) Empty the mixture from the spray bottle completely and refill it with four proportions of water and one proportion of white distilled vinegar. Put the pillow upright and spray both the front and back parts.
6) Use the shower head or water hose once more and then repeat the rinsing process to do away with the vinegar. Remove excess water in the same way you did earlier but be cautious not to twist or wring out the pillow.
7) Now use an electric fan to speed up the drying process. This is done by setting the pillow in front of the fan and letting it blow air on the pillow. Alternatively, a hair dryer can prove useful though a certain distance should be maintained from the pillow to avoid damaging it with the heat emitted by the hair dryer. Also, set the hair dryer to its lowest setting to ensure little heat is emitted.
The above procedure is one of the easiest set of steps to clean a memory foam pillows. The better part of it is that the pillow will be dry within a short period to have it back on the bed.